Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 59

Thread: Life: Self-analysis

  1. #31
    Senior Hostboard Member Dreamer7000's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2004
    Posts
    7,236
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I wouldn't be suprised if CBA would learn and use hungarian better than me [img]wink.gif[/img]
    But I will never surpass anyone who was born english in english, altho I can express myself far better in english than hungarian, I can type faster in english than in hungarian.

  2. #32
    Senior Hostboard Member Hell Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2004
    Posts
    2,434
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    that's absolutely not true. Noone can type faster in foreign language than his/her mother language

  3. #33
    Senior Hostboard Member Dreamer7000's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2004
    Posts
    7,236
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I do, just tested it with Loren last night, you may think it's not, but for me it is. I always mess up typing in hungarian.
    Also while I have failed to show/tell my emotions to hungarian chiks (had a few), I can in english. I fail to tell my opinion about stuff in hungarian, in english I can do better.
    This is not about grammar, or what we were you born with, it's about me liking english far more than hungarian. Ofcourse first I think it through in hungarian, and translate it to english because my mind works like that, but it simply feels more easier in english for me. And I often grab the dictionary too, and ask around a lot but that's what learning a language is about. And I want to learn english, and do my best in it. In hungarian I don't really care about this.
    Again, simply I like english far mroe better.

  4. #34
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think in neither Spanish or English. Some things I find easier to say in Spanish, others in English. I read and write about equally as fast in both of them. I can speak and hear Spanish much faster.

  5. #35
    Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2003
    Posts
    3,403
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I definitely find myself thinking in english, if not on the first thought, then the recollection. I like to summarize in my head what im thinking, so i can clarify my ideas and make sense of them for use later on. Otherwise I'd just forget. English language helps me achieve that, being the only language im fluent in.

    <font color="#345E81" size="1">[ April 10, 2005 07:51 AM: Message edited by: Cataferal ]</font>

  6. #36
    Inactive Member Xhell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2004
    Posts
    520
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ah yes, I too, unfortunately, am linguistically incompetant. I was only ever capable of manipulating my native language (english) as a means of expressing myself. Despite vague attempts to acquire new languages throughout my academic career, I have found that I just don't possess enough interest in the other languages to motivate me to persevere with them.
    The only languages I've ever introduced myself too for educational purposes, has been spanish and german (neither of which I found particularly interesting). Although recently I have developed an interest for japanese, I have been somewhat burdened with regular college work to have any time to familiarise myself with it. But I still percieve it as the most beautiful language to hear.

    I also gotta say, I truly consider anyone capable of understanding and utilising more than one language, as being really amazing. I myself can't really comprehend just how it's all interpreted and applied in your minds (it seems really complicated when I try to visualise it), but people like Hyper, Wiseman, and Hell Knight (forgive me if there are anymore who can understanf more than one language) are really remarkable people!

    You all get 10 Raij smiles!!!!

  7. #37
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    IRT Raij: Thanks ^_^. It's not that hard once you get used to it, and it happens gradually. Once you're bilingual, you no longer think in a particular language, as you've learnt to keep language and thoughts separate. You rather think pure ideas, then think of a way to express them in the lanugage you're currently using. We tend to think speech - you have to call a friend and you think of how would you actually say "I have to call a friend". This is actually unnecessary, and if you can get rid of it you'll think faster (although thoughts may feel more vague and easier to forget or lose track of, that's why when I need to memorize something I think of how would I hear and see it).

    I believe I have enough motivation to learn another language - Japanese, but I believe I don't have the necessary skills. My memory is terrible. While I think I would learn spoken Japanese quickly, I don't think I can learn around 2000 glyphs with their different meanings and readings. I was able to learn English because you may not think so at first, but English and Spanish are so similar. If you take an apple and an orange and look at them closely, you'll get the feeling they are very different. Once you get a radiocassette in your hands, you realize apples and oranges aren't that different after all.


    I see languages as a tool, a communications protocol. I'll learn languages that will help me understand and be understood by people of my interest (people I know, people in my country, people in the kind of places I visit and need to visit in the Internet, people sharing my hobbies, and languages used in my hobbies). With Spanish and English, I've covered most of the world. Many will have English or Spanish first or second languages; and a some of those who don't will know Portuguese or Italian, which are similar to Spanish so we can understand each other in most cases (esp. with Portuguese). Finally, I can make an effort to read French and Romanian if necessary. What's next? Mandarin Chinese would enable me to communicate with the largest community of speakers, but given my hobbies are games, anime and manga, Japanese would double the amount of items I can use, as well as deepen my understanding, plus I like the culture. However, like I said it's too hard, so I think I'll stay with what I have. (I see no need for German (the majority of they know at least basic English) or French (the majority of them are dicks, and the nice ones know basic Spanish and sometimes English), and I can fight my way with other languages of Western Europe, so I think I'm set.

  8. #38
    Senior Hostboard Member Hell Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 7th, 2004
    Posts
    2,434
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    English is enough for me, I have to improve my knowledge in english as well. I want to talk/write almost perfectly(if I can perfectly) in english, and a long road is ahead of me to reach this.

    <font color="#345E81" size="1">[ April 10, 2005 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Hell Knight ]</font>

  9. #39
    Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2003
    Posts
    3,403
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Think of the career options too.

    Im taking japanese, and i really feel that the learning process is becoming faster and faster the more lessons i take. I look forward to the day when i can talk fluently with someone in the language.

  10. #40
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I may consider taking classes after summer, but I'll still have trouble learning two gazillion kanji.

    I forgot to say I agree with Raij - Japanese is probably the best sounding language.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •